- Classroom vocabulary aloud through a scavenger hunt and show & share
- Precision reading for Grade 2 students
- Daily 5 stamina writing (J'écris) for 30 minutes using journals, sentence strips and vocabulary sheets to free-write
- Daily 5 stamina listening to reading (J'écoute la lecture) for 30 minutes using Leap Pads, audiobooks, mp3 players and headphones
- Daily 5 stamina spelling practice (Je joue avec les mots) for 30 minutes using manipulatives, writing tools and vocabulary packages
Because the students have now gained the stamina to do any of the 5 daily literacy choices presented in the Daily 5 framework, they will now be able to choose (with my guidance, of course) what they should work on at any given time. Students also choose how they wish to practice a certain strategy or skill, and are therefore engaged and self-motivated in their learning. It is truly amazing to witness!
Students will now generally be provided 1 to 1.5 hours of intensive and extended language arts programming each day of the school week. During this time, students will work independently to pursue their own reading, write and spelling abilities at their own level. I will work directly with individual students to deliver targeted programming such the Precision Reading program, as well as small groups in the form of writers' workshops, guided reading, strategy-based lessons, micro-teaching and much more. Very exciting!
Some things to catch up on...
- Review vowels: Aa, Ee, Ii, Oo, Uu
- Identifying and recognizing consonants
- Phonological study of consonants: Mm, Ll, Vv, Nn, Rr, Ff
- Ordering words in a sentence by applying capitalization and punctuation basis
- One-on-one letter name and sound assessments for both Grade 1 and 2 students (levelled)
- Continue launching Precision Reading with Grade 2 students (NB: Grade 1 will begin Precision Reading in late October, early November. For now the focus remains on alphabet sounds and decoding syllables)
Last Week and This Week:
- Focus on varieties of 2 elements patterns; begin describing using the term "attribut" (attribute)
- Levelled math booklets (Grade 1 focus on 1 to 10 number sense, Grade 2 focus on 1 to 30 number sense and instant recognition of +1/-1 math facts)
- 2D objects recreation and identification
- Spelling and reading number words 1 to 30
Les études sociales
This Week and Last Week:
- Tout sur moi booklet describing school life
- My family as my primary community, my school as my academic and bilingual community
Les sciences et les arts
This Week and Last Week:
- Levelled science experiences for Grade 1 colours and Grade 2 liquids
- Using paint to adhere to various surfaces
- Using many small objects to create a unified work of art
À bientôt !
- Mme Schultchen